Monday, August 3, 2009

Money

When I was young, I did not understand the “half full, half empty” question. I wondered why they were making such a huge deal over a half full glass of milk. Then it hit me. I realized that I see my glass as half full, not half empty. It has since become such an important question in my life. Whenever any situation hits me I try to see the ‘half full’ side of it.

The same applies when money is involved.

I don’t see any point in quarreling over money or anything bought by it. If my maid accidentally tore my clothes while ironing, I still have a few more in my closet. If I dropped my cell, I can still use it with a semi broken screen. If my favorite book got smudged by curry, I can just wipe it away and continue the story.

Yes, true, I agree, that I never yet in my life learn the value of a Ringgit. I have never worked a day in my life. I don’t understand yet the sweat that goes into the Ringgit I hold in my hand. I hope to one day understand it though. But what I do know now is, a Ringgit is just a ‘thing’ that I use to buy whatever I need (or want) in life. The value of it, on the other hand, lies only in my mind. How I view money is different from the next person and I know it. As I see it, the Ringgit holds no value at all if it’s not used wisely.

Money is a tricky subject. As a Muslim, I have always believed that God and only God decides my rezeki for me. Some people work their asses off every day but never come home feeling satisfied with what they own. Some only work as a truck driver but can still support a whole family of six with that one job. One thing I learn in Makkah is that when I pray, never forget to ask God for “enough rezeki” because even that is determined by God Almighty. Besides that I try my hardest not to complain whenever I lost my money or had to use it for an unplanned rainy day. It is all part of God’s plan. At the same time I also try not to make a big deal whenever I received some money through whatever means. Money can be both a blessing and a curse. It is a blessing in that I can live another day comfortably; yet at the same time it is a curse for if I use it for some unwise spending, I’m thus considered friends with the devil. That is why money is a tricky subject and had always been so in my life.

So I see it simply this way. As Muslims, we have to believe that “rezeki Tuhan ada di mana-mana.” If we work hard, God is gracious to provide us fairly and necessarily. The magic word is ‘work’. However rich your parents may be, if you don’t invest the money somewhere, it will evaporate into thin air one day. At the same time, even if your parents work hard only as fishermen, if you study hard and work even harder afterwards, you’ll be able to reap the outcome of your sweat and tears eventually. It all goes back to the basic belief that there is no need to become a fanatic of money. Even if you don’t believe in God, the Economy teaches you to spend your money in order to generate more income.

My simple question is this: would you rather keep your hardcover Harry Potter away from your kids in hopes that one day your great-great-grandchildren will be able to sell it on future e-bay, or let them enjoy the magical story of a boy wizard growing up in a fantasy school called Hogwarts? Which one is more valuable to you? Ringgit or Escapism?

Don't you agree now that the value of a Ringgit is nothing more but a mere creation of the mind?

-C-

2 comments:

air effects said...

asmak selalu hilang duet.tp mak die selalu pesan.takpa..be optimist.rezeki nk mai lg banyak tuh=)

yup.rezki ada di manamana.terms rezeki itu sendiri kdgkdg org salahfaham kan.kawen muda pon rezki :p

Syaza said...

Hahaha sayang nye saya pada adik sy sorg ni :D