Thursday, September 25, 2008

AUKU

Yesterday Sofiya, Rassyid and I went to the "Abolish AUKU" forum. Well of course I wasn't expecting much but I thought let's just give it a try. So we went. Of course personally I am interested in abolishing the act. Especially after the 'argument' I had with Shila, I want to have a fair chance the next time we see each other :p She as a law student understandably understands more but I want to be at par with her to not look like a fool defending something without basis. And so we went.

Let me start by saying that Sofiya left after the first speaker was done.

There were three speakers, obviously, as it was a forum. But the thing we were wondering was who will the speakers be? If it's some law student voicing his opinion than thanks but no thanks. But how were we to know these speakers are no better. The first speaker was someone from Gerakan Mahasiswa Mansuhkan AUKU (GMMA). I don't want to comment on his English nor speaking ability. I admit so he won't be getting high marks on his MUET but for me his confidence to speak out is a bit admirable regardless of grammatical and pronunciation mistakes. But because of that he lost the attention of the mostly law students audience.

The second speaker? First of all, she wasn't even standing. If her voice is loud then it's okay but the thing is she was reading a text. A TEXT! She was 'reading' about Academic Freedom and I think quoting the whole speech from some Harvard professor. And she was a bit emotional, I got to admit. Or maybe I'm the only one who sense it? Nevertheless.

The last speaker is the only person whom I wished would have talk longer. He's the DAP member and our MP that used to (or still?) teach law in INTI. No wonder the students were suddenly interested in the forum as he is a good speaker and I believe a good lecturer. And when he answered questions, he was the only one who was professional and did not get carried away. I mean I understand why the first two speakers really wanted to abolish AUKU (I do think every sane student would want the same thing) but to gain respect you have to give respect. The MPs not going to listen to you if you keep repeating the word 'stupid'... Anyway, the only thing I was disappointed with the third speaker was that he included politics every two sentences. Sure I agree every thing about our every day life IS politics, but when we're talking about AUKU then talk about AUKU.

Honestly at the end of it I don't think I'm any more enlightened than I was an hour earlier. Shila is so going to win another argument again. And Pia, yup, she made the right choice to leave.

-C-

8 comments:

rassyid said...

Fuyoh! Jom ajak asilah debate jom. kalah2 la :p

mr. arumugam tu still lecturer kot.

the only thing i regret was kite xleh mkn refreshment lps abes talk tu :p

eliza dzulkafli said...

i think la kan, God gave me a sign when he made me penat and ultra-malas to get off the bed yesterday.

teehee.

maka elly slept while the neighbors went.

Syaza said...

u debate ngan asilah? boleh kot, try la :p mkn2! ui! puasa la!

elly...tdo lama itu makruh di bulan puasa....heheheheh

Unknown said...

bak kata rassyid, "tdo lebih baik dr mengumpat."

:P

rassyid said...

betul betul betul :p

eliza dzulkafli said...

the tidur remark applies to the reamrk-giver as well, wink wink :D

Syaza said...

cis

diana said...

he's not teaching anymore la. borges ckp byk kali masa socio last time.