Friday, October 17, 2008

Grocery shopping

I went to Giant just now with Kak Nor. Unlike other days, I went this time in my track pants and a very very loose t-shirt. I guess I was reminiscing the second week in INTI when I drove to Alamanda in those, as what they told me. Anyway, as Kak Nor was busy grocery shopping, I just stayed by the trolley and texted my unreachable boyfriend at the time. Thus, that’s when I started to look around me.

I know a lot of people said that one of their favorite past times is people watching. Some create stories as to what will happen next to those people passing by. But being a history junky that I am, I love to wonder what’s happened to these people. What are their stories? How did they end up being at the same place as I am at the same time? And today my topic was…men. I mean middle-age men. I saw a man, with his maybe 5 year old very talkative daughter, eating ice cream as he teased her. And I also saw another man with his wife and perhaps 10 year old son looking through the row of vegetables (yuck!). What I’m trying to say is they are more or less my dad’s age. And they were in Giant on a Friday in the morning. Why were they there? What do they do for a living? How come they're with their families? Are they still on their Raya break?

Actually, I wasn't doing much 'guessing' as I was really touched. The thing that touched me was the sight in front of me and the whole idea of it. Middle age men with perfectly able bodied wives were doing their grocery together. Sweet, romantic, and seldom to see. Of course I saw some veterans too but they no longer work so it makes sense. But the rest... For me, regardless of their stories it’s plain beautiful that they did not leave their wives to do the hard, dirty job alone. I know the excuses of men who wait for their meals to be served day in and day out: “We work for you to have the money to do the grocery shopping.”

However, I love the way my Ustazah puts it. Nowadays women work too to share the burden of a higher living cost. The least that men can do is share half the work of keeping the house together.

Happy doing your grocery during the weekend people!

-C-

8 comments:

rassyid said...

erm... ni ape maksud die ni ek? btw, sy suke gak tau shopping grocery :p awk tu duk kt troli msg boyfren je ka? xtlg kaknor eh?

Syaza said...

x. kalau i tlg pun nnt kak nor ltk blk, die amek yg better. tp msg pun xberbalas. hmh.

rassyid said...

hey, i reply smpi berpuluh2 kali eh. ur ph yg salah bkn i. huhu.

diana said...

nowadays, grocery shopping feels like such a great thing to do. fetching my brothers/sister from school too. everytime i do these two, being the emo person that i am, tears will flow down...

diana said...

eh eh tapi, track pants and loose shirt, stakat giant, tak main la...

Syaza said...

what do u mean by xmain????

eliza dzulkafli said...

i like vegetables.

HMMMMPH.

Syaza said...

ew!