Friday, October 26, 2007

Bubble

“Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble…”

Oh my bubble, why do you have to go up and down repetitively? Why can’t you stay at either place longer than today, and in fact, longer than any other day? Why do you have to come and leave me so soon? Please my bubble, if you can see the sadness that’s coating my heart, my liver, and both my kidneys, you’d understand (okay joke time ends there.) Bubble, come down to earth please. Don’t linger in the air. You don’t even need to reach the sun. All I want is you, my bubble, to be my companion. Can you do that for me please? Or can’t you?

Perhaps I’m lying dear bubble when I say I am content. If I am, I wouldn’t always be as how I am. I would instead be as how I want to be. Or the person I was, dear bubble, before you came and gave me the space to breathe in your soft, comfortable wall. I felt safe, covered from the rain yet able to feel the soft rays of the sun on my skin. That’s what you did to me dear bubble. Why can’t you see that? And I always thought I consciously make EVERYTHING obvious.

Or perhaps you do realize that, dear bubble? And perhaps it is in fact your intention to bring me as close to the sun as you can? You thought by doing so I’ll feel happy, happy, and happy. But bubble, don’t you realize that every time we got just as close to Mercury, the moon would consume me and you’d think it’s the moon’s fault? No dear bubble, the moon has always been nice to me. So do you, bubble. But if the moon is capable of orbiting the earth obediently, you on the other hand are free… You are free to do as you wish. Remember bubble, with great power comes great responsibility (source: Spider-Man.) You are responsible of your own actions and indirectly you are responsible of the person riding with you. Don’t you think of that bubble?

When you go up, I’ll lean on you to observe the beauty I’m leaving behind in exchange for the beauty whenever I’m with you. And when you go down, I anticipate the soft thump of landing. The landing is soft but still, a thump. Oh bubble, I thought you know me in and out already.

Bubble, I guess it’s time for us to part ways. I admit it’s not going to be easy. In fact bubble, I’ve asked a confidant to find your soft spot and to poke at you until you burst so that I can taste fresh air on my skin again. But right now it seems you’re not letting me go. But why is it hard for you to let me go dear bubble? I thought my time with you had ran out and it is time for someone else to experience the joy you’ve given me. Then, please burst dear bubble, if not for you, it’s for me. Please let me go. I want to walk on hard ground again. I want to be able to step on thorns and rocks and fall into holes without you protecting me anymore. But you just aren’t able to do that yet, are you? I hope one day you will realize dear bubble that this rollercoaster ride you took me on has taken its toll on me. I’m tired. I stink. And I’m about to puke. Please dear bubble, even if it is never your intention to take me on this ride, don’t burst while we’re still in mid-air, please.

Bubble, you’ve been a good friend to me. I don’t want to lose you, as a friend. But at this rate, with you not letting me go, and letting the sun’s wind determine our position, it is going to be harder and harder for me to not run away from you. I’m scared dear bubble, honestly. I’m afraid one day I’ll be the one who’s poking you so hard that you’ll get hurt just being with me. I don’t want that for you or for me. Even if you’re the reason for my dizziness in this soft, comfortable place, you don’t deserve to fall with me. So dear bubble, this is my last call. Let us both land softly on earth; though it is not as magnificent as what we have been seeing along our journey through the universe, at least earth is my home. And earth is your home too. Trust me, you would be much happier without me occupying your space.

With this dear bubble, I say goodbye. May we see each other again later and with it a smile that you deserve. Not a frown, for you have left me hanging, stringing along YOUR journey. Goodbye, and thank you, MY DEAR BUBBLE.

Sincerely,
-Syaza Farhana Mohamad Shukri-

No comments: